THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

The Devil In Miss Jones

Hot97 is knee deep in another scandal. The station is fast on it was to being so last month, with their consistently bad morning show programming and poor judgment. Recently, the station aired a parody song entitled “The Tsunami Song” during their morning show, hosted by Miss Jones, which mocked the tsunami victims. Many were outraged at the station’s insensitivity but it didn’t stop there.

Taken from Hiphopmusic.com

“On this tape you hear them introducing the "Tsunami Song," then Miss Jones and co-host Todd Lynn launching into an abusive tirade against Miss Info when she voices her objection to it. Miss Jones finally tells Info she's only complaining because "you feel superior, probably because you're Asian."

Then, after Miss Info has said the song is offensive to Asians, co-host Todd Lynn informs her: "I'm gonna start shooting Asians." Yes, he really says that. It's at 3:37 on the mp3. “

Sine then, several things have happened. Miss Jones has been suspended from Hot97, Jin made a Hot 97 dis record, and a petition is circling around the internet. As I am in the Cap City of Albany, I didn’t hear this firsthand, but the story and mp3s are everywhere! I suggest you go to the source and read all the info yourself. Check out Jay Smooth, (damn, 2 mentions in a week). There are two viewpoints to everything, as Byron Crawford shows here!

Hot 97 issued a press release in regards to the “Tsunami Song”. Wanna read it, here it goes! (Forgive me, I’ve been watching “In Living Color”, look for my review soon!)


NEW YORK, Jan. 26 /PRNewswire/ --

Miss Jones and the HOT 97 Morning team have been indefinitely suspended for the airing of a song that made light of a catastrophic event, as well as for comments made at the time the song was aired. Earlier this week, Miss Jones said on the air: "I apologize to all who have been offended by my poor decision to go along with playing that insulting(to say the least) Tsunami song. I should have known better and I didn't. So I'm sorry and hopefully we can move forward from this, or I can move forward from this being a better hostess, because I am better than that, and I know better than that -- and you deserve better radio than that."

While Miss Jones has apologized on the air, in the media and on the HOT 97 website, station management felt that stronger action was necessary to demonstrate the severity of the situation. Emmis Radio and Hot 97 will not tolerate such derogatory and racially insensitive content. This incident in no way reflects the spirit of HOT 97. The station has a long-time and well-known reputation for communityinvolvement and support. Emmis Radio President Rick Cummings said, "What happened is morally and socially indefensible. All involved, myself included, are ashamed and deeply sorry. I know the members of the morning show are truly contrite. They know their actions here are inexcusable."

SOURCE WQHT-FM

Personally, I think the song is foul, but I am a black man who listens to Howard Stern (who all other morning jocks try to imitate) so I may not be a good person to ask an opinion. Nothing really bothers me, and I don’t have time for the rest of the world’s hang-ups, I’m too busy with my own thanks. I will say this much. Getting mad at Hot97 for this song is like getting mad at the clouds when it rains. This is an offensive song true, but have you listen to most of Hot97’s play list? If this is the first time you’ve been offended listening to Hot97, then you must be loosing your hearing or something. As a hip-hop head, I am offended by what songs they consider to be hip-hop, but that's another issue.

They have kept it really real on the annoying b.s. broadcasting tip for a long while now. Don’t get me started with hip-hop lyrics these days, emcees with an 8 bar multi-syllable verse that doesn’t really say anything, the ongoing Tupac-B.I.G. cloning, or the hypocrisy in the industry. If you’re going to be mad at Hot97 for anything, be mad at them for continuing to water down the culture by promoting thoughts and perceptions that are not “gangsta” or “hip-hop” in anyway, shape, or form. These fools don’t even really contribute to hip-hop music, and that’s bad because they are DJS! (boring talk over, pause-play djs, not Q-Bert, Jam Master Jay, Mix Master Mike, Grandmaster Flash, real type type dj’s)


Who else remembers the time when Star and Bucwild (also in the news this month for racially offensive material) played that clip after Aaliyah died? They couldn’t even finish the show before EVERYONE in hip-hop started calling them telling them to fall back. Jay-Z wasn’t happy about it. Neither was Ms. Jones. She got into a argument with Star and Buck and I think she left the show that day. Fast forward a few years, Jonzee is running things, and what does she do? She blast Ms. Info on air, starts talking a little too much, and draws the entire world's attention on herself and her Hot97 crew in downtown Manhattan.

HOT 97 TSUNAMIS SONG = ANOTHER BLACK EYE FOR THE TEAM KIDS!

Check the links, sign the petition, make a Hot97 dis mp3, and show the world hip-hop is not dead. What other form of music has it’s fans demonstrating and petitioning against their own when they step out of line and go to far? Hip Hop Rules!

http://www.petitiononline.com/endhate/petition.html

http://www.indiaexpress.com/news/world/20050126-0.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/story/274679p-235203c.html

http://cbsnewyork.com/topstories/topstoriesny_story_025160857.html

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/nyc-nytsun254125015jan25,0,2022540.story?coll=nyc-manheadlines-tv


0 comments: